Morris Mini 1000 MK II

(Great Britain 1969)

The Mini car was produced from 1959 to 2000, with various brand names and by various constructors, including Italian ones (Innocenti), starting with the British BMC - British Motor Corporation. In the mid-fifties, BMC decided to devise a city car that was small and economic, but nevertheless able to carry at least 4 people. Creation of the design (known as ADO15, or Austin Drawing Office project number 15) was given to the engineer of Greek origin, Alec Issigonis, who produced a masterpiece.

Thanks to the placing of the front transverse engine, the gearbox mounted under the engine and the front wheel drive (all highly innovative features at the time), the vehicle, although only 303 cm long, could carry 4 people. “Spacious inside, small outside”, was the most fitting definition of this 2-volume, 2-door car in which 80% of the floor space was available for passengers and luggage.

The Mini made its debut on 26th August 1959, under the brand names Austin (Austin Seven, from the famous model of the 1920s) and Morris (Morris Mini Minor). Just two years later came the launch of the Mini Cooper – the sports version devised by John Cooper and destined for great success. In 1969, the BMC, which had in the meantime become British Leyland, decided to make the Mini a brand name on its own, abolishing the double name with Austin and Morris. In Italy, Innocenti produced it under licence from 1965 to 1975.

This model, from 1969, is a Cooper S restyled with the variants from the second series (MK II).


Engine: 4-cylinder
Capacity: 998 cc
Max power output: 60 bhp at 5250 revs/min.
Gearbox: automatic 3-gear